Pardon me, the layers aren’t perfect .
This cake’s for my dad . He just turned 50 today.
Happy birthday daddy ! Love you !
” Thank you for who I am and thank you for all the things I’m not ” : Il Divo – Mama
Initially, I tweaked this recipe to be an orange flavored opera cake instead of a lemon flavored one, but much to my dismay, the orange flavor wasn’t prominent at all, it only brought a faint orange taste to the cake, how disappointing ..
However, the hazelnut TPT used really brought out the chocolate-ness in the cake !
If I would be doing this cake again, I’d probably add some orange essence or extract to the buttercream and chocolate ganache so the taste of the orange would be more obvious .
Also, I double the recipe for the Joconde Biscuit because I wanted a bigger cake .
Orange Opera Cake
adapted from dailydelicious’s Lemon Opera Cake
Joconde Biscuit ( Cake Layer )
Use a 24×34 cm sheet pan * I used a 21 x 30 cm sheet pan
300 grams of TPT ( Hazelnut ) ( Equal amount of Hazelnut flour and icing sugar )
40 grams of almond powder
160 grams of egg
32 grams of Cake Flour
150 grams of egg whites
32 grams of sugar
13 grams of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C ( fan forced ) and line 2 baking pan/sheet with equal measurements with baking paper
2. Melt the butter and set aside .
3. Mix the TPT, almond flour and egg together until it’s smooth and mix in the flour, then set aside。
4.Beat the egg whites , when it starts to foam up, gradually add the sugar and continue beating till it forms stiff peaks.
5. Fold the meringue and warm melted butter alternately into the nut mixture . Starting by folding 1/3 of the meringue and ending with the remaining 1/3 of the meringue .
6. Pour the mixture equally into 2 baking sheets ( leave a 1/2 cup behind ) and bake for 7-10 minutes .
7. When cool, cut each of your joconde biscuit into two.
Orange Syrup :
50 grams of sugar
50 grams of water
1 teaspoon of orange zest
# 10 grams of Cointreau or orange extract/orange liqueur
1. Mix sugar, water and orange zest in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Pour into a cup and let it cool before mixing in #.
Base Chocolate :
60 grams of dark chocolate
7 grams of vegetable oil
1. Melt the dark chocolate over a bain marie then remove from heat.
2. Mix in the oil and let it cool before use .
La creme au beurre ( Orange ) :
30 grams of egg yolks
100 grams of sugar
15 grams of whipping cream
30 grams of orange juice
150 grams of unsalted butter
25 grams of egg whites
1 teaspoon of orange extract ( optional )
1. In a bowl , mix 50 grams of sugar and egg yolks together.
2. In a small sauce pan, bring orange juice and whipping cream to a boil .
3. Pour orange juice mixture into the egg yolks mixture while stirring continuously . Add orange extract .
4. Pour the mixture back into the sauce pan and heat it over low heat while stirring continuously until the temperature reaches 82 C .
5. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and let it cool completely .
Italian Meringue :
1. Pour egg whites in a large bowl and set aside ( somewhere near you )
2. In a saucepan, heat up 50 grams of sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of water over medium heat until it reaches 100 C.
3. When syrup reaches 100 C ,start whisking the egg whites .
4. When your sugar syrup reaches 117 C, pour it over the egg whites while whisking continuously until the egg whites feel cool when touched .
5. Beat the butter into the orange curd you made until fully combined .
6. When meringue has cooled down, mix it into the butter and custard mixture until fully combined .
Filling Ganache :
30 grams of Dark Chocolate
25 grams of Milk Chocolate
35 grams of whipping cream
2 teaspoons of orange juice
8 grams of honey
10 grams of butter
1. Heat whipping cream and orange juice over low heat in a small saucepan .
2. Pour the hot cream over the chocolates and stir until completely melted .
3. Stir in the butter and honey until fully combined , set aside .
Glacage Chocolate :
44 grams of milk * I used an extra 5 tablespoons
20 grams of glucose syrup ( glucose syrup makes it shinier ) * I used butter
30 grams of whipping cream
20 grams of sugar
100 grams of coating chocolate ( compound chocolate )
34 grams of dark chocolate
1. Bring all the ingredient except the chocolate to a boil in a saucepan .
2. Pour it over the chocolate until the chocolate melts . Let it cool down before use . * If consistency of the glacage is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until it reaches desired consistency .
1. Place one sheet of cake wrong side up and pour the base chocolate mixture over the cake then put it into the refridgerator to harden .
2. When the chocolate on the base has harden, flip the cake and brush it with syrup .
3. Spread the buttercream over the cake and place another sheet of cake on top of it . Put it in the refrigerator to harden.
4. When buttercream has harden, brush syrup on the surface of the sheet of cake and spread filling ganache over the cake . Then, place another sheet of cake on top of it and put it in the refrigerator to harden.
5. Brush the surface of the cake with syrup and spread a layer of buttercream over the cake . Put it into the refrigerator to harden .
6. Pour glacage chocolate over the buttercream, then return the cake to the refrigerator to harden for 4-5 hours .
7. Trim the sides of the cake and decorate as desired.