Coffee is not my cup of tea .
Feeling under the weather after I drank a cup of coffee yesterday afternoon. At first, it was just migraines, then it worsen to vomiting and insomnia . Oh lord, remind me to never drink coffee anymore .
Biscotti is literally cookies without butter so it’s perfectly suitable for weight watchers or those who are health conscious yet, wishes to enjoy a piece or two without feeling guilty .
It’s perfect with a good strong of cuppa or coffee , yes, i tried, don’t ask .
Recipe from JoyofBaking
Yields approx 40 pieces
180 grams of whole almonds blanched or not blanched .
3 medium sized eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
260 grams of all purpose flour
150 grams of castor or granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1//4 teaspoon of salt or a pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 C . Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake them for 10 minutes, until they turn golden brown .
2. Roughly chop the almonds and set aside.
3. Mix flour, sugar , baking powder, salt and almonds in a large bowl and set aside.
4. Lightly whisk together eggs, almond extract and vanilla extract in a bowl.
5. Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture until a dough is formed . ( If dough is wet, add more flour by tablespoon )
6. Divide the dough into half .
7. On a lightly floured flat surface, roll each dough to form a 7 inch log that’s 4 or 5 inches wide .
8. Transfer rolled dough to a prepared baking sheet and bake at 150 C for approx 15-25 minutes or until dough feels firm when touched.
9. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
10. Transfer log onto a chopping board and slice / cut the log diagonally into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces.
11. Arrange pieces of biscotti back to the same baking sheet and bake for another 15 minutes then turn the biscotti and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes or until biscotti is firm to touch . ( The longer you bake, the more crisp the biscotti would become )
12. Remove from oven and let cool before storing in an airtight container .